Little Miss had been asking for corn bread, and I thought a rainy Sunday was the perfect day to make some. I also made homemade beef stew to go with it.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup corn meal
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl mix flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder.
- Add butter to cast iron skillet and place in oven till butter melts.
- Remove skillet from over and swirl butter to evenly coat pan.
- In a small bowl combine, eggs, milk and oil.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir till just combined.
- Pour batter into cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or till or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Corn bread recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book 14th Edition. Beef stew recipe is my own. I’ll have to write a post about my beef stew.