Growing up my mom always used various cast iron skillets when cooking meals for the family so the cast iron territory was not completely foreign to me. I remember that what my mom made in her cast iron skillet over other pans she had always tasted better and seemed to have cooked faster.
I have been cooking with my Calphalon nonstick pans for over 5 years now, and although I love the pans they are very expensive to replace in the event that I needed too. I also wanted to add a pan to my kitchen that produced a more natural type of cooking.
I purchased the 12” Lodge Logic Skillet from Sur La Table while they were having a %20 off sale. The brand is reviewed very generously and is reasonably priced.
The first step in taking care of your pan is to season the pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Rub the inside of the pan with about 1 tbsp of un-salted better
- Place a cookie sheet on the bottom rack of oven. (The cookie sheet will collect the drippings of the melted butter from the upside down skillet)
- Place the skillet upside down on the top rack of the oven.
- Cook for 2 hours. Turn oven off and leave skillet in oven to cool off with the oven.
- Your pan is now ready to use for cooking.
- Each time you cook with your pan you are adding to the seasoning of the pan which in turn adds more flavor to the cooking.
Up next: How To: Wash Your Cast Iron Skillet