Little Miss and I recently made salt dough ornaments which are perfect for painting. I wanted to make hand prints but the sat dough is very grainy from the salt so it doesn’t make the perfect canvas for hand prints. I found many recipes on Pinterest which people claimed it was better than salt dough, so I had to try it.
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2 cups baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup water
- (Food coloring if you desire)
- Mix all 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Add food coloring if you wish
- Put saucepan over medium heat, stir mixture continually
- Mixture will bubble then quickly turn into a thick mashed potato consistency
- Pour onto wax paper and cover with a damp towel
- Let cool complexity – the dough will be too sticky to work with when warm
- Roll out to use cookie cutters or make hand prints or simply play with as is
- Bake at 175° F for 1 hour to prevent cracking. (I skipped this step and didn’t experience any cracking)
This dough is very smooth and easy to mold which made for a better canvas for handprints. I made paw prints of the two pups and Baby Z’s hand and foot prints.