Sometimes you just need a slice of good old-fashioned homemade chocolate cake with a tall glass of milk. I found this recipe Black Magic Chocolate Cake which included coffee in the recipe. I had never made chocolate cake with coffee before and was excited to try it.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup coca powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Butter and flour two 9 inch round pans.
- In a bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- To the dry ingredients add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla.
- Whisk for two minutes, the batter will be thin.
- Split the batter between the two pans evenly.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cakes cool complexity before frosting.
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick butter
- Chop the chocolate chips into smaller pieces and place in bowl. This will help them to melt easier.
- On Stovetop, cook butter and milk till jut a boil.
- Pour hot milk and butter mixture over the chocolate chips and stir till all the chocolate has melted.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for an hour.
- Stir the mixture and place back in the fridge for another hour or till the mixture resembles.
- On a cake stand, place the first later of the cake. Spread a thin layer of frosting.
- Place the second layer on top of the first and spread the remaining frosting over the top of the cake and sides.
I did not love this frosting, I found it too thin and it didn’t really hold the layers of my cake together. Next time I will make a vanilla frosting for the cake. I did love the cake, it was moist and delicious. The cake didn’t taste like coffee just had a rich chocolate flavor.